Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September 6, 2010

Hey family, how is everything going? I hope that you have all had a great week. Well, things here are going great. Well, we haven’t been doing much this week....no I take that back, we have done a lot of stuff but it’s all pretty much been contacting. The work here has been a little slow but things are good. Our baptism date is doing awesome. He just got married last Saturday so that is awesome. I am excited for him, it is great. He got married to a member, which is also very nice and now he is going to get baptized Saturday the 18th. It is awesome; he is so ready for the baptism. He has been investigating the church for almost a year and now he is ready. We had a rendezvous with him today which was awesome. We gave him a baptism calendar with days we can see him and what we are going to do when we have a rendezvous with him. He also invited us over for dinner with him and his wife the Friday before the baptism. I am so excited; he is so ready for the baptism.

Well, we got the car back from the other Elders in Cholet so, now we have it. So, guess what? I can drive stick now. It’s all good, no big problems. I haven’t grinded the gears or anything. I have stalled it a couple of times though but practice makes perfect, so I am still practicing on how to get better. But it is coming and I am doing pretty well though. The driving in France, now that is another question. They have weird rules here on who has the right a way or who does this and who does that. It is just very confusing. Well, I would have to say that I was scared out of my mind when I started because I haven’t driven a car in almost 10 months. Now I have to drive a stick and I am in France, so I was a little scared out of my mind but things are good. Now I am not so scared anymore so I am happy about that. It’s cool though, now I can say that I can drive a stick. We got a call from the elders in Cholet and they said they can’t drive it anymore so we would have to come and pick it up. So we headed down by train to Cholet and when we got there they were not home. So we did what every missionary would do, sit around and do nothing. JK JK No, we headed out and did some contacting until we found them. Then we went to a little library and I found this way awesome calligraphy pen and a book to go with it. So I can write in calligraphy. It is fun. I will have to write something and send it to you guys. Ok, so we are in Cholet and the other elders needed help to teach someone because she is a single person. You need someone to go with you if you teach a lady. So, we went but she wasn’t there, but we had a fun time talking. Oh, and guess what? The missionary’s names were Elder Montingé and Elder Smith. Now, I was in the back talking to Elder Smith and I found out he lives in Rood’s ward. His name is Taylor smith and he knows the whole Rood family, even Ben and Wendi. So, that was cool to talk with him and to get to know him. I have a photo of him but I forgot my cord to upload a picture, but it was cool to get to know him and what he does. After we dropped them off and we headed home on a nice country drive. It was cool to see a little bit of France while driving home. I like it. It is very flat though and I do miss the mountains. But, it was still cool to see some of France.

Well, we eventually got home in time for planning then going to bed. It was a fun day though. On Saturday’s we do a cool thing. Every Saturday is called ping pong and pancakes day. This is where you get to come and play ping pong and have real American pancakes made with French stuff. It is cool. My ping pong skills have gotten pretty good, I must say...well at least better than they were. So we do that every Saturday night. It is a good time and fun but, last Saturday we made a ton of pancakes and no one showed up. So, now we have a ton of leftovers. But, all is well, that just means more for us. Well, I do have to say that I think I like Belgium a little better then France so far. The people are a lot nicer there then here. But, it is still very fun. And I do have to say that I miss the Belgie waffles and chocolate and Belgie frites (fries). They were good! Maybe one transfer I will go back but things are good here. I like it I am having fun. And now I have the chance to visit Paris before I go home, which I do have to say that I am stoked for that.

Well, not much else has gone on. We have about 2-3 people who we are teaching and that’s about it. We have been doing a lot of finding though. It’s funny; Saturday morning we have the marché here. This is held in the center of city and there is a bunch of people selling stuff and there is a bunch of people looking around. So, what would a companionship of missionaries do? I would like to call it English Board Contacting. One of us goes around with this board that we wear around our necks. It says: “Practice your English for Free with the Americans.” So, we walk around with that on, and it is funny to see what people do. Here they all read things out loud. So some one reads it and they read it out loud as if they were by themselves. And we are just like “Oh, are you interested?” and they just look at us some weird way and walk off. The same with the name tags. They come up and they stare at your name tag and read it out loud; “L'église de Jésus-Christ des saints des derniers jours.” And the best part is when they look up and realize that you are looking at them. And then you start talking with them, it is so funny. I laugh all the time. Then there are people when you say “hello” that just say “sir” back to you. I love it. Just good times, good times.

So, that is pretty much all of our amies. We decided to work a little bit more with less actives and inactive. So, yesterday we drove pretty much to our boundary to see an inactive family who lives about a 45 min drive away. It was a long time but they where awesome. We have another rendezvous with them this week, so that is cool. Well family, time is running short. It’s been fun talking, but I hope you all have a great day and have fun at work or school. Yes, school has started even here. There are less kids on the street and more in school. Ya, those where the days. Well, I hope you have fun and have a great week. I love ya and TTFN LOVE ELDER WALKER

Sorry last thing here is a picture of Elder Taylor Smith who lives in the Roods ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment