Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October 18, 2010

Hey family, how is life going for everybody? I hope it is all fine and dandy. Well, things here have been fun and not so fun as well. So, let me tell you about the life of a missionary in Angers.

Well, Monday was good. It was our p-day and we didn’t do much. We went bowling again and had a good time. Then after that we had FHE and the person who was supposed to bring the games was late. It just so happened that I had Phase 10 with me so we had to teach them how to play. It was ok. I went around helping everyone. My companions were playing and since I was helping everyone, I turned them all on my companions, it was great.

Well, Tuesday there was a big Grève (strike) going on because of the retirement age. They raised the age from 60 to 62 and everyone freaked out. Well, that was going on. There were a lot of people walking the street and they were pretty angry. So, we decided to go check it out in normal clothes because they are mad at the government and it wouldn’t be smart to dress up like a government person. So, we checked it out and we decided that we should go back to the apartment because it was bad. So, we had to stay in our apartment all day long. That was so boring.

Wednesday we had nothing special, just district meeting with the zone leaders. That was about it. Now, the best day had to be Thursday. Oh what a day, what a day. We had to go to Nantes for Elder Ellis’ medical visit for his French legality. Well, the strike was still going on. Well, I mean it is still going on even today. Since it was going on we had to catch an early train that got us to Nantes around 9 – 9:30am. Well, we get there and we need to buy stamps for the medical thing. Now theses stamps are expensive (sorry I can’t spell.) Well, they are a lot of money. They cost 340 euro’s which is about 470 dollars.....ya expensive. Well, before that we got pastries and they were very good. Elder Ellis put the wrapper in his pocket and when we got the stamps he put them in his pocket. Well, we were walking to the medical place and there are garbage cans along the way and Elder Ellis throws his pastry wrappers away. But, not just his wrappers, but his stamps as well. We eventually get to the place and we cannot find the stamps. He then realized that he threw them away. So, we went back checking every garbage can we passed along the way. But, they had just emptied them right after we left - so we never found them...... so, we just threw away 340 euro’s worth of stamps. How fun! So we had to call president and it was ok. We told the medical place and now we will just have to go back and get some more to give to them. I think we are planning to go back tomorrow which is Wednesday the 20th. Then, because of the strike there were no trains going back to Angers until 5pm. We spent the whole day in Nantes. It wasn’t bad and we even went to a cool castle that was there. We also did some contacting for the elders there. So, that was a fun day spending the whole day in Nantes - Oh ya.

Friday was a normal day. We did some good missionary work so that was fun. Then Saturday - oh what another day. Along with the strike which was still going on there was another big movement with a lot of people. We had a rendez-vous in the morning so we had to go in non pros clothes. We went in jeans and shirts. He wasn’t there which was disappointing. When we came back we ran into the movement. WOW! Let me tell you, there were thousands of people and we were in the middle of it. There were cars with big speakers yelling, very angry people! We just said, “Well, time to go!” We were trying to run away and get out of that mess. Well, that whole day was also spent in the apartment doing nothing. Ii finished the Book of Mormon again though. I have finished it now on DEC 17, MAY 17 and OCT 17. Every 5 months – fun. I didn’t plan it like that but it turned out that way - cool huh. Well, that is what we did.

Sunday was good - going to the good old church in France. It was fun and I like this ward so I am happy. Now yesterday was also a good day. We took a one hour and a half bus ride to La FLéche to visit the ZOO! It was so cool! They have white lions and white wolves, which are my favorite animal. The Arctic Wolf which is called Loup Blanch. They also had some really cool monkeys and polar bears. The cool part is that you can get so close to the animals. I mean you can get close! I forgot my cord to my camera so I will have to send some pictures next week. They were cool. It was a way cool zoo to go and see.

So, that has been our week. Fun and also not fun with the strike that is STILL going on...yea well, things are great. I love you and hope you have a great week. LOVE ELDER WALKER

No comments:

Post a Comment